Whether they’re sweet or savoury, waffles are always a winner. So for National Waffle Day, we decided to make a sweet and a savoury option and let you decide which is the best! Head over to Facebook to cast your vote in the Sweet vs Savoury Waffle Battle.
This vegetarian waffle recipe is quick, easy and simply delicious! You can always add some cooked bacon or some chopped salami if you fancy adding a little meatiness.
- 2 medium carrots
- 200g red cabbage
- 125g Cheese, grated
- 70g Plain Wholemeal Flour
- 1 Spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Finely chop your red cabbage and then add to a large mixing bowl.
- Grate your carrots and add to the mixing bowl with the cabbage.
- Add the grated cheese, spring onion, parsley and wholemeal flour into the large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Spray waffle machine with oil and heat to a medium heat setting
- Using a ladle or large spoon, pour the mixture into the centre of the waffle machine and spread a little to the sides. Make sure the waffle machine is covered with mixture and then close and cook for approx. 5 mins, until browned, crispy and cooked through in the centre. Remove from waffle machine and place on a wire rack.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used up.
To finish, simply add some fresh chopped parsley, pomegranate and crumbled feta cheese.
For our sweet waffles, we've kept it classic. Sweet, crisp and scrumptious! We've topped ours with raspberry & mango ice cream plus our Raspberry Heaven smoothie mix.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 300g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 50g butter, melted
- 600ml semi-skimmed milk
Heat the waffle maker. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. In a separate large bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate, caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and melted butter. Start mixing with a balloon whisk; keep whisking as you slowly add the milk until you get a smooth, thick batter. Carefully fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon.
Use a ladle to pour the batter into your waffle maker and cook for 5 mins. Repeat until all the batter has been used up.
Serve with as many or as little toppings as you would like! We recommend Raspberry Heaven and Ice Cream!