More Herbs, Less Salt
We all know that eating a balanced diet is often easier said than done, it can take a lot of time, thought and effort….a lot of which we just don’t have time for. We're all looking to eat better and we need convenience. Today marks the day of More Herbs, Less Salt Day - which encourages us all to just take a small step in making our diets more balanced, simply by replacing salt with herbs. It takes little to no time...especially if you’re cooking already!
The way to use less salt is to use more herbs. This way, you aren't really sacrificing any flavour; instead, you might just make it that much tastier.
Fries with Garlic Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 large Potatoes, unpeeled and cut into strips (fry shaped)
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- A handful of Parsley, chopped
- 20g Parmesan, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6
2. Mix potatoes, olive oil, garlic, parsley into mixing bowl. Toss until potatoes are evenly coated. Keep the remaining oil in the bowl, you'll need this later!
3. Place potatoes on a nonstick baking tray put into the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
4. Once baked and cooled down, take the fries and toss them in the remaining oil and sprinkle on the parmesan.
5. Return fries to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes.
Freeze Your Herbs
Freezing your herbs for future use has never been easier, and what's better is that it eliminates so much waste! All you really need is your herbs of choice, some water and an ice cube tray.
- Cut your chosen herbs (the fresher, the better) into small pieces, we love using Parsley, Rosemary and of course Thyme.
- Pour water into the ice cube tray, filling it up at least a quarter of the way.
- Fill each of the cubes with your chosen herbs ensuring that all the herbs are covered. Then top up the tray with water so the cubes are full.
- Put the tray in the freezer and freeze for at least 3-4 hours.
- When you need them, use them from frozen as you would fresh!