We’ve been hiding in the freezers for the past two weeks to escape this heatwave! After checking the coast was clear this morning and it was safe to return to our desks without melting, we decided we needed a few quick recipes that didn’t involve hours of hot kitchen preparation and that are perfect for light alfresco snacking.
A few simple ingredients, a few minutes in the oven, a quick whizz in the blender, and voila - light and healthy flavour-packed snacks to keep you company whilst basking in this beautiful, if a little unusual, British sunshine.
Strong Roots Sweet Potato Fries with vegan jerk remoulade
- Strong Roots Sweet Potato Fries
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp shallot, finely diced
- juice 1 lime
- 140g vegan mayonnaise (we like May-O, available at Sainsbury’s)
- 4 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- salt & black pepper
- Cook the Sweet Potato Fries according to the on pack instructions.
- Add the red pepper, garlic, shallot & lime juice to a mixing bowl, mix well. Leave for 10 minutes. The acid in the lime juice will mellow the flavour of the garlic & shallot.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, jerk seasoning, chilli and season well.
- Place the dip into a bowl and surround with Sweet Potato Fries.
- Relax in the sun, dip a chip and enjoy with a cold Pinot Grigio
Strong Roots Mixed Root Vegetable Fries with original Toum (Lebanese garlic sauce)
That wonderfully pungent, garlicky, lemony sauce served on shawarma can spice up just about anything. It’s super easy to make which gives you license to use it in lots of different ways. Try it with cold roast beef, grilled chicken, tossed with warm green beans, or here with our delicious Mixed Root Vegetable Fries.
For garlic lovers only. We don’t recommend this sauce for a first date!
For the garlic sauce :
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 2 tsp of coarse salt
- juice from 2 lemons
- 100 ml ice-cold water
- 600g canola oil
- Cook the Mixed Root Vegetable Fries according to the on pack instructions.
- Peel the garlic cloves and place into a food processor with the salt, lemon juice and a splash of oil.
- With the processor on, slowly add half the canola oil to the mix, then half the ice water, then oil, and then water again until you’ve created a fluffy and thick emulsion.
- Place the Toum into a bowl and serve alongside the Mixed Root Vegetable Fries.
Strong Roots Spinach Bites with lemongrass dip
A deliciously light & refreshing dip that’s perfect for Spinach Bites
- Strong Roots Spinach Bites
- 200g cream fraiche (or Greek style yogurt)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, stiff outer stalks removed, diced
- thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled & diced
- 1 lime, zested & juiced
- one jalapeño or birds eye chilli, deseeded & finely sliced
- salt & black pepper
- Cook the Spinach Bites according to the on pack instructions.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl, mix well.
- Chill in the fridge while the Spinach Bites cook.
- Spoon the lemongrass dip into a bowl and surround with Spinach Bites.