Homemade pies - the ultimate in comfort food. We've used one of our classic casseroles and some shop bought chilled short crust pastry to create a super pretty pie - simply serve with some seasoned steamed greens and fluffy mash. Pretty enough to serve when entertaining or just to cheer up a mid-week meal. Buy some pretty cake decorating cutters, and just have some fun!
Here's what we used:
- 1 x pork & cider casserole for two
- 320g ready rolled chilled shortcrust pastry
- selection of pretty pastry/cake decorating cutters
- sharp knife
1. defrost the casserole in the fridge overnight, or use your microwave
2. heat oven to 180c
3. empty the casserole into your prettiest pie dish and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
4. meanwhile, unroll the pastry and using your cutters, cut out a selection of shapes - we used a blossom cutter in two different sizes, and cut out some strips using a sharp knife. Keep your shapes chilled until ready to use.
5. remove the casserole from the oven and place the pastry shapes over the top. You may want to brush the pastry with a little beaten egg to give it a slightly glossy finish.
6. return the pie to the oven for 10 minutes.
7. remove from the oven and serve with seasoned steamed vegetables & fluffy mashed potato.